SouthMedWiA is coming to an end, and will present all of the great achievements that have been accomplished during the SouthMed WiA Final Conference, that will take place in Casablanca on July 11-12, 2019, hosted by Instituto Cervantes. The two days will be an important opportunity for discussion, and to reflect on objectives, results and legacy of the project.
During the last years SouthMed WiA implemented different activities, including:
- Support to 8 co-operation projects developed by CSOs and SMEs based in the Southern Mediterranean.
- Coaching and training of sub-grantees and other audiovisual professionals, in particular women, to help them increase their skills in different relevant areas, such as pitching, access to funding and co-production, marketing and distribution.
- Research on the current situation in the Southern Mediterranean about women’s role in the audiovisual sector, to collect reliable figures and data regarding creation, production and distribution.
- Outreach activities on gender equality among audiovisual professionals on the role of women in the sector in the Southern Mediterranean to raise the awareness both of pertinent stakeholders and the general public.
- Launch of a SouthMed WiA network of women professionals in the audiovisual sector.
- Publications such as an informative handbook on gender-related opportunities in the audiovisual sector, curricula development guidelines addressed to film schools and curriculum developers, a collection of evidence about women’s role in the film sector.
The programme of the Final Conference will give space to two different panels: the first addresses the issue of gender equality in the audiovisual industry from a professional point of view; the second focuses on the image of women that the sector conveys and its influence in shaping cultural and social representations.
Two working groups will follow each panel involving both the panellists and the sub-grantees, to discuss the topics tackled in the plenary sessions. The working groups will also give sub-grantees the opportunity to discuss with the invited speakers the results of their own projects, to share opinions on the challenges faced and to network for possible future collaborations. Each working group will appoint a spokesperson who will be in charge of collecting the main points discussed and writing a résumé document to be shared with all the participants after the Conference.